The flowers are blooming, the days are longer, Spring has arrived. Now is the perfect time to do some basic spring maintenance and prevention checks on your home. Keeping your home in top shape will help keep your property safe all year long and prevent future home insurance claims.
- Dryer Exhaust: Reduce the risk of house fires by removing lint and debris from your dryer vent or hose. It’s recommended that vents should be inspected and cleaned at least once a year. A telltale sign that your dryer needs cleaning is that the clothes will take longer to try than usual. Also, you will notice the area around the dryer will feel very hot.
- Roof and Gutters: With the weather warming up, spring is the perfect time to clean out all the debris that has collected in your gutters throughout fall and winter. Clogged gutters can prevent water from draining away from your home resulting in damage to the roofing and possibly resulting in water leaking into your home! Something you NEVER want to happen.
- Check all the Detectors: Check all the detectors throughout your home to ensure that they are working properly. You should have at least one smoke detector per floor.
- Water Heater: Take a quick look at your water heater, make sure there is no leaks or corrosion damage.
- HVAC Checkup: With Summer on its way, it’s important that your A.C is working properly. Call a professional to do a routine HVAC inspection. In addition, it is a good idea to clean or replace the air filters throughout your home. Proper AC maintenance will extend the life of your unit and save you money.
- Yard Foliage: Trim and cut any dead branches, shrubbery or foliage especially if near utility wires. This will, in turn, reduce the chance of power outages and electric shock.
- Seal Your Patio or Deck: If you have a patio or outdoor deck, do a routine inspection for warping, loose nails, and wobbly railings or stairs. This small precautions can help prevent a future injury to your or a guest in your home.
- Check the Foundation: Walk around the perimeter of your home checking your foundation for any cracks or imperfections as well as any large puddles of water that can be a sign or poor drainage.
These small routine home maintenance checkups can help prevent future costly home insurance claims. If you have any additional concerns or questions about home insurance. Contact Grindell & Romero Insurance, a reliable and trusted insurance agency specializing in homeowners insurance, auto insurance, life insurance, and business insurance.